Thursday 4 June 2009

3:31:49 Marathon

Wow what a HOT weekend, of all places Scotland at least 26 degrees C with no coastal breeze and very little shade on the course. I always new this was going to be a quick course but along with the weather a challenge of watching your fluid intake.

After a review of my race, heart rate and pace there is a few conclusion and experiences to be taken on board for Roth (37 days to go).

My initial pace was too quick, difficult to control as you are running down hill for the first 4 miles covering it in 27 min. Tried to settle into relaxed running position but just found myself crusing

10km; 42min.

1/2 ; 1:37:32

30km ; 2:18:24

20mile ; 2:26:55

26.2 mile ; 3:31:49

Average Heart Rate 146 bpm
Average Pace 8:04 min/mile

It all started to go wrong around 21 miles, my knees started to hurt, I felt good energy wise and the heat was not effecting me as I had taken on good fluid. Started to have quite a bit of pain on my knees and they decided not to be pounded any more, so I submitted to walking. Completing the last 5 miles in 55mins, 11 min/mile not good, I was on for a 3:10hr marathon, but hey I did not do that. The last 3 miles were tough but I took it easy as I did not want to do any more long term damage for Roth.

Happy as can be and pleased with my nutrition and fluid for the race. I have recovered from the marathon now and my finally training race is the Norwich 100mile bike ride this weekend. I will be running for 30 min after the ride.

http://www.edinburgh-marathon.com/?p=searchable&action=search&name=&number=1947&position=&year=2009&sex=&category=

No comments: